Leadville Ski Joring Rules
Leadville Ski-Joring Rule Sheet - 2018
You may choose to sign up as a Matched Team in either the Open or Sport Division, which automatically requires you to also be in the draw in the Open Division.
- Match Teams are allowed as follows in the Open division: Skiers - 1 run, Horses - 1 run, Riders may ride 1 time Matched on different horses if they bring more than 1 horse.
- Draw teams will be chosen by random draw at registration each day. Match Teams will be drawn at random for position each day along with Draw Teams. Sport Division is 1 Match or 1 Draw Only.
- Match Teams and Draw Teams will compete for same monies as one race in each division.
- Horses are limited to (3) three runs maximum per day.
- Horses in Open cannot 'jump' to other Divisions. Sport horses can run in either Sport and/or Legends. i.e. One Match run in Sport and 1 Draw in Legends.
- Rider may ride any number of times, including twice on same horse.
- Riders may ride in different Divisions as long as a different horse is used in each Division.
- Skier may enter more than once, depending on number of horses.
- Skier may ski behind same horse twice in same day depending on the results of the draw.
- Skier must use a baton to pick up rings. (Baton & Rope will be furnished)
- Skier must have hold of tow rope across finish, otherwise team is DQ'd.
- Skier must be in control, and in an upright position (No part of skier's body touching the ground), and on at least one ski when crossing finish line, or team is DQ'd. Both ski tips, and boots must pass over finish line between finish gate markers. Rider must be on horse when skier crosses finish line or team is DQ'd. Although this event is similar to ski racing, ski racing rules do not apply to ski joring!
- Both ski tips and boots must go through (around to inside) gate or jump markers, including finish and start gate, otherwise it is considered missed, and penalties are applied.
- A Skier who "jumps" the start gate, and does not start the clock will not be allowed a re-run or re-start. Team is DQ'd.
- A skier will be granted one re-start if he lets go of the tow rope before tripping the start gate.
- Horse and rider have a maximum of (4) four minutes from the time the 'Course Clear' signal is given from starter to cross the starting line with skier, otherwise team is DQ'd. If rider chooses, they may leave the start area before the four minutes are up and calm their horse. Rider & skier will be allowed one restart when their name is called again.
- Substitute riders or skiers for a run will not be allowed for any reason after the Draw has been posted. If a competitor cannot make the run for any reason, that run (team) is DQ'd.
- Legends Division Skiers may choose to ski in the Legends or Open Division but NOT both, and NOT Sport. Skiers in the Legends Division must be min. 40 years of age, have competed in ski joring for at least 10 years, have no medical disabilities, have min. 60% mental capacity, have 50% of their natural teeth, and test negative for sexual enhancing drugs.
- All Skiers registering in the Open Division must be pre-qualified to ski in the Leadville Ski-Joring by past experience.
NOTE: Alcohol consumption prior to competition is grounds for disqualification for that competitor, and ultimately that team! (Including Horses)
- No refunds of entry fees or Calcutta monies will be given if horse, rider or skier is not able to compete due to injury or other reasons. This applies to later runs on same day. Calcutta monies are paid to the top 3 finishing "Purchased" teams.
- Towrope (furnished) of 30 feet must be 1.) Attached to saddle horn on front of saddle by braided loop and run on either side of rider. Rope cannot run under the saddle. Or 2.) Attached directly to the primary rigging rings of the saddle construction with a non-elastic material. Attached within four inches (4") of the cantle (under strain) Connection of the pull rope to the saddle will be to the centerline of the horse with a carabiner type device.
Penalties will be added on to running times as follows:
- Missed Jump (4 Seconds)
- Missed Gate (4 Seconds)
- Missed (or dropped) ring - 2 Seconds per ring
- Dropped baton before finish - 2 Seconds
- Rings knocked off by rider - 2 Seconds per ring
There is no penalty for rope or horse hitting jump marker or gate marker. Skier will be given credit for rings not in place on standards during his run, i.e. Wind, snowball from horse, or any other natural cause to make ring fall. NOTE: Rider hitting ring is NOT a natural cause!
Baton must be held in hand, and not secured to arm or placed under clothing.
Protests must be made immediately following run to Course Director at Finish before next team has competed.
Come to Leadville to enjoy a great weekend of competition!
Decision of judges is final!